- (abs, pdf) Bode et al., Mergers of Supermassive Black Holes in Astrophysical Environments
- (abs, pdf) Schleicher et al., Magnetic fields in the first galaxies: Dynamo amplification and limits from reionization
- (abs, pdf) Peters et al., Radiative Feedback in Massive Star and Cluster Formation
- (abs, pdf) Commercon et al., Collapse of massive magnetized dense cores using radiation-magneto-hydrodynamics: early fragmentation inhibition
Last week, I got word that the 16-core processors were available for order from our supplier. I placed an order for our dedicated cluster that will be composed of
- 8 nodes each with 64 cores and 256GB of RAM
- A total of 512 cores and 2TB of RAM
- QDR Infiniband interconnect
- 48TB of long-term storage space. Scratch space is 250TB. It is shared among other clusters and connected by Infiniband.
Peter Mészáros (PSU) Continue reading Talk: GRBs – Recent developments from Fermi
- (abs, pdf) Rocha et al., Infall Times for Milky Way Satellites From Their Present-Day Kinematics
- (abs, pdf) Trenti et al., Overdensities of Y-dropout Galaxies from the Brightest-of-Reionizing Galaxies Survey: A Candidate Protocluster at Redshift z~8
- (abs, pdf) Petkova & Maio, Radiative feedback on early molecular gas and implications for primordial structure formation
- (abs, pdf) Maio & Khochfar, The imprint of cosmological non-Gaussianities on primordial structure formation
- (abs, pdf) Bolton et al., Improved measurements of the intergalactic medium temperature around quasars: possible evidence for the initial stages of He-II reionisation at z~6
- (abs, pdf) Pan et al., The Pollution of Pristine Material in Compressible Turbulence
- (abs, pdf) Mignone et al., Adaptive Mesh Refinement with the PLUTO Code for Astrophysical Fluid Dynamics
Lionel London (CRA) – GPU Computing in Matlab
- Matlab Parallel Computing Toolbox (PCT) vs. Jacket
- PCT allows for multi-cpu and GPU computing. Limited to 12 cores on the local machine. Very high level.
- GPU computing with PCT requires an nVidia card with v1.3 compute capabilities. GPGPU with Jacket has relaxed requirements but is very expensive ($4k for 5 licenses!)
- PCT GPU can run external .cu files.
- Jacket has 10x more CUDA-enabled functions than Matlab. It’s cluster capable.
Yesterday I attended a discussion with Michael Nielsen and the GT faculty, where open science was the subject. We covered various venues for promoting collaborative science projects. Some were completely new to me. Let’s cover a few examples that were discussed. Continue reading Discussion: Doing Science in the Open